Victoria, also known as Rabat, is Gozo’s main town, crowned by an inspiring Citadel that dominates the island from its highest vantage point. The Knights of St John fortified the Citadel from corsairs and the threat of Turkish invasion in the late 16th century, and until the early 17th century all citizens of Gozo were bound by curfew to return to the fortifications by nightfall.
The Citadel commands spectacular views of the sculptured coast and verdant countryside of Gozo, and also hosts splendours such as Lorenzo Gafà’s Cathedral of the Assumption and the remarkable optical illusion of the trompe l’oeil ’inner cupola’ painting adorning the Cathedral’s ceiling.
The town itself boasts a thriving cultural life ranging from opera to horse-racing on the 15th August, as well as the burgeoning and lively ‘It-Tokk’ Market, with its throngs of cheeses, wines, antiques, artisan curiosities, fishing nets and knitwear.
- The panoramic vista from the Citadel walls.
- The Baroque Cathedral of the Assumption and the illusion of the trompe l’oeil.
- A browse through the variety and colour of the ‘It-Tokk’ Market.
- The exhibitions at the Cittadella Centre for Culture and Art.
Tourist Information Office: Tigrija Palazz, Level 1, 300 Republic Street, Victoria, Gozo Island.
View on Google Maps
- All bus lines in Gozo stop at Victoria.
- Tourist Information Office:
- Mon - Sat – 9am to 5.30pm. Last admission 5.15pm.
- Sun and public holidays – 9am to 13pm. Last admission 12.45pm.
- Closed on 25 Dec, 1 Jan, Good Friday & Easter Sunday.
Discover the distinctive charm of Victoria, Ramla Bay and Dwejra in Gozo, with the characters of Coronation Street.